|Chemicals to avoid which are lurking in your Face and Body Creamsby moniquehbeauty|
Common Chemicals to avoid
The main culprits are:
Butyl, Ethyl, Methyl & Propyl Paraben
- These are preservatives used as inhibitors of microbial growth, basically their sole purpose is to extend shelf life of products and they are of no benefit to your beautiful skin.
- They are widely used in cleansers and moisturisers.
- They can cause gastric irritation, numbing of the mouth and many allergic reactions and skin rashes. They particularly affect asthma sufferers.
- This is a very drying and irritating solvent that strips your skins moisture and natural immune barrier, causing premature ageing of skin and brown spots.
DEA MEA & TE
- These are hormone – disrupting chemicals that can form cancer-causing nitrates and nitrosamines.
Diazolidinyl Urea & Imidazolidinyl Urea:
- These are the most commonly used preservatives after the parabens
- They are used in cleansers, toners, moisturisers.
- These chemicals may cause joint pain, skin reactions, allergies, depression, headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness, and loss of sleep.
- These are mostly synthetic. Their ingredients can indicate the presence of up to four thousand separate ingredients, many of which are toxic or carcinogenic.
- It has been clinically proven that these fragrances can affect the central nervous system, causing depression, hyperactivity, irritability, in ability to cope and other behavioural changes.
Mineral oil, liquid paraffin:
Cell delevopment resulting in premature ageing used in many products because it is cheap- baby oil is 100% mineral oil.
Petrolatum & petroleum jelly
- Mineral oil jelly, interferes with the body’s own natural moisturising mechanism, leading to dry skin and chapping.
- This appears in lip gloss, lipstick, lip balm.
- Unbelievably we are being sold products that actually create the very conditions they claim to alleviate!
Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
- This is a potentially carcinogenic petroleum ingredient that can alter and reduce the skins natural moisture factor. It can increase the appearance of aging and leave you more vulnerable to bacteria.
- It is used in cleansers to dissolve oil and grease.
- It is also used in caustic spray-on oven cleaners. So clearly must be tough on grease!
Propylene Glycol (PG) & Butylene Glycol;
- These are gaseous hydrocarbons which in a liquid form act as “surfactants” (wetting agents and solvents). They easily penetrate the skin and can weaken protein and cellular structure.
- They are commonly used in cleansers moisturisers, body lotions and foundations.
- They are also used in industrial anti-freeze and hydraulic brake fluid, PG is strong enough to remove barnacles from boats.
It doesnt matter how cheap or expensive the products its all to do with the ingredients so as long as they dont have these nasty chemicals in you are on the right track.